CyBR Club Members Capture Awards In Their Pursuit To Thwart Outside Invaders

The safety of systems, networks and programs are the focus of a group of dedicated—and gifted—students at Bridgewater-Raritan High School.

These 96 high school students have joined forces to protect the internet while also enjoying a club atmosphere that offers the opportunities to tackle challenges and participate in games.

They comprise Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s CyBR Hacks Club—and the members have become experts in the field of blocking dangerous and unwelcomed outside invaders.

And their participation is also a step in the direction that they may take once they graduate from Bridgewater-Raritan High School.

“”These students have a chance to compete and earn scholarships while gaining exposure to use for their careers,” said Dustin Frey, a high school Computer Science and Math Teacher who serves as the Co-Advisor of CyBR Hacks with Carrie Feeney “The more information they gain, the more people that they can protect.”

“It is an up and coming field,’ said Ms. Feeney, who is a high school Science Teacher.

The club’s mission is to teach students concepts involving cybersecurity and coding through interactive games that lead up to a competition.

These club members have certainly grasped the challenges of games and competition.

Ethan Wang, who serves as the club president along with fellow junior classmates Shachin Ramkumar and Shrey Agarwal, and his fellow members took on both the New Jersey Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Cell (NJCCIC) State Competition and National Cyber Scholar Competition.

And they made quite an impact with their challenges.

In fact, Ethan placed first in the NJCCIC State Competition and shared first place in the National Cyber Scholar Competition.

Ethan explained the challenges of both competitions.

“You had to show how to protect the internet while you learn how to hack, which was ways to exploit vulnerability and weaknesses,” Ethan revealed. “Once you have completed the multi-step process of these challenges, then you capture the flag.”

Other CyBR Hacks members also placed in the competition.

Fellow president Shachin finished sixth, while Arnav Dedhia placed eighth and Kevin Wang, (no relation to Ethan) secured 11th place in the NJCCIC State Competition.

In the National Cyber Scholar Competition, Shachin finished eighth, Arnav placed 10th, Kevin Wang registered for 16th place, Shrey recorded 33rd, Pranav Karra finished 65th, Sahel Abraham came in 70th and Rhea Gandhi ended in 134th place.

Ethan and Shrey were attracted to CyBR Hacks because of the numerous perks that the club offered.

“I was immediately hooked back in September of 2021 because of the game format involved and the hands-on approach,” Ethan said. “I have been very excited since I joined.”

“CyBR Hacks allows our members to take an interest in technology and cybersecurity and go above and beyond by earning scholarships, internships, and prizes just through learning and practicing their skills through a gamified capture-the-flag platform,” Shrey shared about her passion as a club member. “I think the best part about CyBR Hacks is the opportunities and interests we have created and provided among cybersecurity enthusiasts to better themselves and the community.”

Helping and alerting the school community has been one of their roles.

The members designed signs that promote recommendations on how to avoid hackers.

The designs were then printed by the students in the class of Annie Higgins, a Special Education Teacher at the high school, and the posters were distributed and hung on the walls throughout the Bridgewater-Raritan High School campus.

Yes, we are in good hands with these whiz protectors on our side.