The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Girls’ track and field team gears up with large roster for the season

Students warm up for track practice. (Emma Kipila)

After a strong season last year, the Bridgewater-Raritan High School girls’ track and field team is ready to take on whatever challenge comes their way.

This year’s team of over 100 girls has already begun to set records as one of the largest teams Coach Adam Pyle  has ever seen.

Many returnees have set their goals high, such as Emily Leppert in discus, Maria Wise and Sophia Rosato in hurdles and Kaylonna Gordon and Mariam Mchedishvili in long jump and triple jump. The girls have worked hard in the off-season and cannot wait to earn as many team points as possible over the course of the season. 

This season, many athletes are hoping to break some school records, including Esther Guan in the 100m and 200m; Stacey Yang, Emily Dietzman, Liya Medallon and Esther Guan in the 4x100m; Jessica Borchert and Tara Dhawale in the 1600m and 3200m; and Dahlia Adams and Diya Inta in the 800m.

Although team wins are a great part of the experience, one of the season’s highlights for these athletes is the bond they get to build with one another. Senior Esther Guan addressed her personal enjoyment in the sport. 

“My favorite part of the track season is being able to train with my friends every day. I am looking forward to hopefully placing at more meets individually and as a team,” she said.

Guan has been on the team since ninth grade and is graduating this year. As she goes through her final season, she hopes to make the very most of it.

“Once I graduate, I am going to miss the thrill of competing and being in a fun, supportive environment created by friends and coaches,” Guan said. 

Some other strong athletes that were acknowledged by Coach Pyle include senior Tara Dhawale; juniors Jessica Borchert, Stacey Yang, Tynisa Medallon, Emily Dietzman and Diya Inta; and sophomore Dahlia Adams. 

This season will be filled with many sad endings and new beginnings as many new freshmen take their first steps on the track. Coach Pyle hoped to provide some advice to the new freshmen starting their first year of track.

Students huddle up during track practice. (Emma Kipila)

“Take the time before the season to prepare physically and mentally. It will pay off in the long run. It is very difficult to have success if you have never been active and expect to be able to train come the start of the season,” he said.

According to Coach Pyle, being mentally and physically prepared for the season is one of the most important things an athlete can do before ever beginning training.

“Athletes should focus on training mobility, breath work, mindset, and how to recover from training,” Pyle said.

Since the end of last year’s season, the girls have been anxiously awaiting these next few months with much anticipation. Nothing short of great success is expected to be seen by every single athlete who steps up to the challenge.