The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

An EPIC behind the scenes look into the publication of the yearbook

While the Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s yearbook may seem like a simple compilation of students’ pictures and quotes, its creation depends on a series of collaborative efforts, coordination, and creativity.

This year’s advisors for the BRHS EPIC Yearbook are Michael Bittner, a Business teacher, and Philip D’Apolito, an English teacher. The two have worked to create a club that incorporates the student body into the creation of the yearbook, working with them to select a theme and photos, or to finalize details and designs.

According to the advisors, “It’s a year-long process and a great commitment.”

This process begins at the end of the previous school year. In late June, the cover for the next year’s yearbook is drafted. Over the summer, the yearbook staff continues their work. They finalize Baby Ads and confirm with the publisher the correct quantity of books and the right amount of pages.

There are five deadlines throughout the year to ensure all 400 pages are meticulously and accurately crafted and submitted to the publisher for review. Entering September, weekly meetings are held to keep the club focused on achieving success by the final deadline, which is typically before Spring Break.

The designs and layout found in the yearbook are developed by students, with some assistance from the publisher.

“We have lead designers who build templates and head the creative vision. From there, our team finetunes the layout according to the needs of the particular page,” the advisors said.

The yearbook’s theme is always unique. Mr. Bittner, Mr. D’Apolito, the senior editors and the publisher meet to brainstorm and discuss possible themes. They chose a comic book style for the 2023-2024 school year.

Choosing which clubs to feature is a task that requires careful consideration and planning. There are over 100 clubs at BRHS, each contributing uniquely to the school community. The yearbook committee does its best to ensure the inclusion of as many clubs as possible. The club can be featured as long as the club advisors or student representatives submit their content to the yearbook.

The yearbook has a multitude of opportunities for students to be involved. For example, some spread designers organize the templates and format pictures or text on the pages. As well, photographers are vital. They go to different events around the school such as the Pep Rally, sporting events, or club events. Editors are responsible for writing captions and developing text.

Spot-checkers are necessary as well, according to the advisors.

“Since it’s such a large publication, we need to constantly proofread information to ensure its accuracy,” they said.

The yearbook committee also assigns people to a particular club or sport if they know they are a member of the activity to give a personal perspective. Each role is meant to be given to students who have an interest or specialty in it.

The advisors advised those who are interested in applying for a position in the yearbook in the 2024-2025 school year.

“Meeting deadlines is important. If you’re unsure what it is that you are interested in but you want to get involved in some way, we have people that can teach you and show you whatever it is that you may be interested in,” they said.

Applications for the next school year open in September and information regarding applications will be communicated through BRTV and the high school’s website. A portfolio or submissions are expected to demonstrate a possible member’s interests and abilities.