The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Board of Education welcomes BRHS Student Reps

Student Representatives of BOE: Amplifying Student Voice

The school year at Bridgewater-Raritan High School is off to an excellent start, and at the heart of this smooth transition are three dedicated high school seniors who have taken on the crucial role of Student Representatives for the Bridgewater-Raritan Regional School District Board of Education.

Meet Siya Gupta, Gianna Jakubowski and Iris Pan, three individuals tasked with conveying the thoughts, suggestions and opinions of the high school student body to the BOE.

The purpose of these positions, which were created last school year, is to promote candid communication between students and school district officials. The Student Representatives revealed the overall opinions of their fellow students in their first report, which they delivered at the Wade Administration Building on Tuesday evening of October 10.

The improvement of the high school’s Unit Lunch is one of the year’s most notable accomplishments. The Student Representatives reported that there has been a significant improvement over last year’s daily break. The Open Campus policy, which allows seniors to leave school premises for lunch, has received a lot of support from students. This strategy has been well appreciated since it gives pupils a welcome change of pace during lunch.

Additionally, there has been a lot of enthusiasm about the opportunity for students to study in the library or attend club meetings at lunch. Interestingly, intramural sports have been added to the lunchtime experience, providing more chances for friendship and physical activity.

The enthusiasm built up prior to the school’s first homecoming dance in 10 years, which was held on Saturday, October 14, in the high school’s main gym, is also highlighted in their report. It is clear that this event has piqued the curiosity of many students because 700 tickets were sold.

The new mobile phone policy, which forbids the use of phones in class, is another measure that has drawn support. This approach is well-received by both educators and students, who acknowledge its potential to foster a more concentrated and efficient learning environment.

The commitment of the three students to consistently provide updates during BOE sessions during the academic year guarantees that student opinions will always be at the center of district decision-making.

Apart from the updates pertaining to students, Jaimee Kochis, the school district’s director of technology, gave a presentation on cybersecurity during the most recent BOE meeting. In her presentation, she went into depth on the safety and security precautions her department has put in place to reduce risks and establish a safe environment for instruction. She said their objective is to “reduce threats and maintain a robust and safe infrastructure” so that kids may study in a safe atmosphere and teachers can carry out their teaching duties.

BRHS’s academic year is characterized by encouraging advancements and a resolute dedication to student input, openness and safety. By keeping lines of communication open, students, teachers and administrators are collaborating to build a healthy and happy learning environment.