The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Unified soccer team enjoyed its first season

Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s Unified soccer program began this fall, being the school’s newest Unified Sports team.

Through student volunteers and the supervision of  Jessica Decker, all students involved had a great time on and off the field. This is because the Unified Sports team has the motto of, “On the field we are teammates; off the field we are friends.”

Unified Sports teams are an extension of the U.S Special Olympics, which was founded in the 1960s by Eunice Kennedy Shriver. The focus of intramural Unified soccer is to provide an inclusive experience for all students in the game of soccer.

BRHS students compete in the Unified Soccer game. (Cory Rible)

This fall, the team competed against Hillsborough High School in a series of both home and away games. The team also meets regularly to practice their soccer skills for their games. 

With many students who are nonverbal, peer partners use mostly physical demonstration to communicate. The team was a success and everyone enjoyed their time together.

Mrs. Decker explained that each student would play the game with a peer partner by their side to direct them. There would never be a student on the field without guidance.  

Members of the team had positive things to say about the Unified soccer program.

“The games and practices were always a fun time. Nothing but positivity and great energy from everyone,” Owen Crimmins said.

He emphasized how different players grew throughout the season and responded well to the support they received. The Unified soccer program combines the energy of a soccer game with the support and leadership students need to thrive. 

Along with the addition of the BRHS Unified soccer team for the 2023 school year, the school also has a few other Unified Sports teams. These teams include a basketball team in the winter as well as a track team in the spring.

Bridgewater-Raritan High School  is also looking to implement a Unified bowling team in the near future. These other teams serve the same purpose as the soccer team, which is to bring students together and have them interact in a peer-to-peer partnership.

Unified Sports has been a great addition to Bridgewater-Raritan High School as well as numerous other high schools in the area to allow all students the opportunity to play sports.