The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Indoor Percussion established history placing first at Hatboro-Horsham Competition

Bridgewater-Raritan’s Indoor Percussion Ensemble poses for a group picture ahead of the competition. (BRIP)

The Bridgewater-Rarian High School Indoor Percussion Ensemble (BRIP) placed first at the Mid-Atlantic Percussion Society (MAPS) Hatboro-Horsham competition in Horsham, Pennsylvania on Saturday, February 17.

The Indoor Percussion ensemble has been active for the past six years, competing in competitions and perfecting an annual show from November to April of every year. With only two years of competitive performances, the ensemble is motivated to achieve greater feats upon their first-place win for the first time in the history of this ensemble. 

This year, the Indoor Percussion show is entitled “Let it Shine” and musical selections include “This Little Light of Mine,” “Unit Dawn” and “Beacon of Light.”

The ensemble itself has been growing in numbers, which has helped in reaching a successful focal point in the group’s achievements, not to mention the staff who commit their time and effort to helping the program succeed. This year, there are over 20 members in the ensemble, and staff members include Mr. Nick Mossa, Kirby Marino, Mike King, Hannah D’Elia, Harry Teele and Mike O’Leary, among others.

At the competition, BRIP performed “Let it Shine” alongside 17 other high schools: Downingtown HS West, Owen J Roberts, Quakertown, Highland Regional, Hopewell Valley Central, Downington HS East, North Penn, Phoenixville, Uper Darby, Edison HS, Parkland, Odessa High School, Penn Manor High School, Coatesville, Daniel Boone and Upper Dublin High Schools. The ensemble scored first in nearly all judged categories, namely music, effect (music), visual and effect (visual). The ensemble also received best visual and best music at the competition.

The Indoor Percussion Ensemble performs in Horsham, PA. (BRIP)

Senior Zachary DeFalco shared his thoughts on this success and his experience in the ensemble.

“The Hatboro-Horsham weekend was honestly a competition day I’ll never forget,” the battery percussion section member said. “I’ve been in this program since the 2020-2021 school year and honestly, I’d never thought we’d accomplish what we pulled off on the 17th. We’ve always been the group who pushed and pushed and made it to maybe the top ten. Being able to be part of this program for this long has let me see it really grow, from its first marching season, to its first competitive season, to its first WGI regional finalist placement, to its first win.” 

DeFalco went on to explain the work ethic of the program.

“We always practice like we’re on top, no slacking off. We know we’re there to work hard, but winning a show is something I’d honestly never thought we’d reach. The students know how to get the job done when it comes down to getting the job done and being one of two drum captains, I couldn’t be prouder of the kids. Seeing the plaques we received for winning last weekend was the highlight of my week altogether, and I can’t wait to see what else this group has in store for my senior year.”

The ensemble will be performing Saturday, March, 16 at North Penn High School in  Lansdale, Pennsylvania.