The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

AP Literature classes visited the Neue Galeria and Metropolitan Museum of Art

Students enter the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (Mr. Dalpe)

The Bridgewater-Raritan High School AP Literature students took a trip to the Neue Galeria and Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET) in New York City on March 15.

The Neue Galeria is dedicated to early 20th-century German and Austrian art and design, including works by renowned artists such as Gustav Klimt. The MET has a collection spanning 5,000 years of art and keeps over two million works.

English teacher Mr. Michael Dalpe took his students on this trip after connecting his lessons in class regarding World War II and the Existentialism period to the art featured in both museums. The exhibits they toured expanded the students’ cultural competence and perspectives on art from this time and the literary themes they have concentrated on. 

According to Mr. Dalpe, the group began their field trip at the Neue Galeria. At the gallery, they received a private showing that “catered to German and Austrian inter-war art– a large unit we are currency working on,” Mr. Dalpe said. Afterward, students went across the street to the MET to see the differences in material between the two exhibitions and the various artworks that produced the cultural contexts of the lessons and works AP Literature is centered around. 

At the Neue Galeria, the class was centered around Gustav Klimt’s work.

“I was really excited to see the Gustav Klimts at the Neue. I love where he stands in the Vienna Secession movement in the Era of Art as well as his contributions to the art world in general. The story behind these works also serves a vital role in the repatriation of works that were stolen by the Nazis in World War II. I feel that this exhibit was the highlight of the trip,” Mr. Dalpe said.

The educational objectives of the trip were to enrich students’ understanding of literature and art by drawing connections from their knowledge of World War II and Existentialism to the artworks viewed during the trip. The reflections and discussions that ensued added depth to their understanding of the writing they were focusing on.  

The field trip was offered to each of Mr. Dalpe’s senior AP Literature classes, with room for 25 student.

“I wanted to give students the chance to see the art I have referenced in class and to see artworks they wouldn’t have had an opportunity to see otherwise,” Mr. Dalpe said.

Mr. Dalpe plans to offer this experiential field trip to his students once again in the 2024-2025 school year.