The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Freshman English classes watched Romeo and Juliet live

Students pose for a picture outside the Pax Amicus Castle Theatre. (Achyut Nuli)

Students from four English Language Arts classes went on an educational field trip to Pax Amicus Castle Theatre in Budd Lake to watch a performance of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet on April 24.

This annual trip, since 2002 (excluding the years affected by the pandemic), allowed students to see Shakespeare’s play and gain more insight into the play being read in class.

“Shakespeare’s plays were meant to be seen and not just read, so I am thrilled to have been able to take my freshmen to see such a wonderful production,” said Ms. Alison Ward, who was one of the chaperones of the trip.

Along with Ms. Ward, Ms. Karen Goret, Ms. Maria Nunez, Mr. James Brown and Mr. Steven Diamond were chaperones, making the trip an entertaining and educational experience for all in attendance.

The play itself was slightly adapted and condensed into two major acts instead of the traditional five, with a brief 15-minute intermission that allowed students to take a break and purchase snacks. Following the performance, the students enjoyed lunch beside the lake next to the theater.

Upon the completion of the play, there was a stage combat demonstration that took place, giving students an entertaining idea of how fight scenes are choreographed and executed safely on stage. Additionally, a Q&A session with the actors after the show provided students with the opportunity to ask questions about the theatrical world, the production, personal feelings and other general topics.

The logistics of organizing such a trip were complicated as well. The process begins three to four months in advance, with selecting available dates at the theater and gaining approval from the Board of Education. Following that, ticket sales and transportation were arranged. One of the stage crew members even mentioned that tickets for the theater sometimes sell out a year in advance, demonstrating the popularity and significance of the performances.

On May 7, Ms. Amanda Hodge and Mr. Anthony Pucciarelli’s classes also traveled to the theater  in Morris County to watch Romeo and Juliet. These field trips expand students’ understanding of the play and Shakespearean themes, as well as provide an opportunity for students to have fun.