The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Model UN sponsored second new member mock conference

The Bridgewater Raritan Model United Nations (BRMUN) club held its second mock conference of the year.

The conference, which took place on February 2 and February 9, was meant to help members in BRMUN prepare for upcoming conferences and competitions.

With the agenda of “Child Labor Rights in Asia,” as part of the UNICEF committee, the sessions ran in parallel with three rooms debating the topic. Throughout the two meetings, delegates discussed key topics, debated solutions and ultimately drafted resolutions about how to solve the issue at hand. 

Discussions on legal frameworks, rights and responsibilities and working conditions flooded the rooms as students brainstormed and engaged with other members of the committee to come up with solutions. Speeches would be made on various topics within the realm of child labor rights, paving the way for new ideas and thoughts. 

In preparation for the mock, students researched the topics thoroughly and wrote position papers. These papers outlined their country’s stance on the issue and explained their proposed solutions in detail. Delegates also formulated different speeches to be used during the session to present their ideas to their peers.

In the background, upperclassmen members of BRMUN worked hard to go through all the position papers, giving feedback and mentoring delegates. These behind-the-scenes tasks helped in facilitating the conference. 

Awards were assigned to different students in each room for overall outstanding performance during the mock conference. These distinctions recognized students for their efforts.

Junior Harsha Ahmed, one of the officers of BRMUN, reflected on the recent mock. 

“[Everyone] demonstrated great MUN skills, and I am sure they will all do great things at their real conferences,” he said.

As major conferences such as the National High School Model UN conference and North Brunswick High School Model UN Conference rapidly approach, skills and techniques that students have learned during the mock conference will become useful. At the end of the year, the club will hold an officer mock to decide officer positions for next year.