The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Bridgewater-Raritan band ensembles performed at Metropolitan Invitational

The Bridgewater-Raritan High School bands performed at the Metropolitan Wind Band Invitational. (Nandini Kuppachi)

The Bridgewater-Raritan High School Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble performed at the Metropolitan Wind Band Invitational (MWBI) at Roxbury High School on April 13.

The MWBI is an annual event hosted by the Music for All Organization, one of the largest and most influential national music education organizations in support of active music-making and educational music-related initiatives. The group hosts marching band competitions that Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s marching band participates in, including the recording submission competition the wind ensemble will participate in this June.

The two ensembles, with over 100 students combined, left the high school bright and early to meet their first 9:30 a.m. performance time for the symphonic band.

Under the direction of Mr. Mossa and Dr. Bourgault, the band directors for all Bridgewater-Raritan High School band ensembles, the Symphonic Band performed “Fields of Sunflower: Russian Folklore Medley” by Keiichi Kurokawa and “Chant and Jubilo” by Francis McBeth.

The Symphonic Band prepared for these pieces for the past few months, thus being able to put their best foot forward. Later, upon the completion of their performance, the Symphonic Band received comments and a clinic from James Tapia, Rodney Dorsey and Alfred Watkins, all who are experienced musicians.

After the symphonic band, several schools performed as part of the MWBI, including the West Orange and Olathe East High School marching bands.

After a short break in the programming, the wind ensemble performed the two pieces they have been practicing for several months, with Dr. Bourgault and Mr. Mossa as directors. The two pieces, “Eternal Memoir” by Hirokazu Fukushima and “Aquarium” by Johan de Meij, were simultaneously adjudicated by Todd Nichols, Andrea Brown and James Tapia. 

The wind ensemble, an audition-only ensemble, plans to perform these pieces in the Music for All Recording Session and Competition in June. This competition may allow the wind ensemble to advance to a performance of these pieces alongside other groups next school year, which is a huge opportunity for the program.