An Eventful Winter for Club Français

Courtesy of Club Français

Paritosh Bhole, Writer

BRHS’s French Club is an intriguing opportunity for students to extend their familiarity with French culture. The club’s advisors organize various activities for its members, including a “Chalk Talk” event where students would decorate school sidewalks and a brioche au chocolat event where students baked their very own

French pastries. Each experience delves deeper into what makes France such a cornerstone of unique and distinct culture. From food to education, Club Français has two significant events planned for the holiday season.

On December 6th, 2022, the French club hosted an event where students would make bûche de noëls, or yule log cakes. As a common staple in France, this event brought together various students to enjoy one of the most famous and joyful traditions of the French holiday season. Students used ingredients like chocolate spread and other sweet toppings to create a classic bûche de noël. Not only were students able to learn about the process of making a classic French pastry, but they also were able to make new memories while enjoying a piece of culture.

Along with educational experiences for BRHS students, Club Français also planned a trip to Van Holten Primary School on December 13th, 2022. Members traveled to the primary school during the school day to teach younger students about French culture and traditions. Other activities include playing holiday-themed games and making French holiday cards. After this event, the club members will share a snack at Crêpes du Nord, a French pastry shop at Bridgewater Commons. 

Passing on the joy of learning about French culture is one of the driving factors of Club Français. Every event hopes to see new people diving into the beauty of French cuisine and traditions. Understanding how different parts of the world celebrate holiday traditions can change one’s perception; each country and culture has its own special way to make memories. Club Français is providing as many opportunities as possible for students to cherish the holiday spirit in French fashion.