BRHS French students take on NYC

Gianna Jakubowski, Co-Editor-in-Chief

From left to right, BRHS students Camryn Allen, Emma Hamlett, and Gianna Jakubowski walk over a bridge of water lilies at the Monet Exhibition. (Courtesy of Gianna Jakubowski)

Bridgewater-Raritan High School (BRHS) students enrolled in French went on an excursion to New York City on February 23. 

At the beginning of the school day, the students departed BRHS by bus and eventually arrived to Le District at Brookfield Place. This French market and restaurant brings a taste of France to Manhattan.

After eating at Le District, the students made their way to Monet’s Garden: The Immersive Experience, located on Wall Street. This exhibition includes a 360-degree journey through the history and artwork of the famous painter Claude Monet. 

Monet transformed French painting in the second half of the nineteenth century, making him a key figure in the Impressionist movement. His art is mostly focused on landscapes and nature, his most famous painting being known as the Water Lilies. 

This trip, planned by Madame Kostis, was meant for students to be able to celebrate French culture. Ms. Kostis is the Teacher of French and ESL at the high school.

High school junior Emma Hamlett, who went on the trip, explained her adventure.

“The French Excursion was really interesting because it gave us a glimpse of historical French culture, which we haven’t previously been exposed to.”