The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

English teacher Jennifer Austin has adapted in her first year

Ms. Austin joins the high school after working as an English teacher for 22 years at the Bridgewater-Raritan Middle School.

Jennifer Austin has fit in during her first year at Bridgewater-Raritan High School as a literature teacher.

Ms. Austin worked as a 7th Grade English teacher at the Bridgewater-Raritan Middle School for 22 years before she moved to the high school just this year.

Though she loved teaching at the middle school, when her co-teacher for Special Education students retired, she realized she wanted to try something new: teaching higher level literature. 

Since she was young, Ms. Austin had always loved to read and write. Her love for literature combined with the impact her teachers had on her in school inspired her to work as an educator.

Ms. Austin received her masters in education and a certification to teach elementary and secondary education. The high school welcomes her and her plethora of experiences and knowledge from previously teaching a wide variety of students with different learning styles.

She has found joy in teaching at BRHS, as the more challenging curriculum gives her the opportunity to delve deeper into intriguing literary works. She has found the school, faculty and children to be welcoming.

She is impressed by “student behavior, kindness, and grit.”

Despite the countless benefits in pursuing a teaching career, there are also some challenges. Moving between positions can be difficult, which is why Ms. Austin recommends earning multiple degrees.

“Learn about what the job provides; study for the Praxis certification test well in advance; make sure you enjoy working with kids,” she said.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Prowler

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bridgewater-Raritan High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.