The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Science National Honor Society organized Engineering Expo

Students create bridges out of popsicle sticks during the Science National Honor Society’s Engineering Expo. (Nandini Kuppachi)

Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s Science National Honor Society (SNHS) organized an Engineering Expo, which featured four different workshops exploring fundamental engineering skills through simple activities on February 1.

The SNHS is a national organization that empowers thriving students in science by providing them with volunteer opportunities and science organization affiliations to gain experience.

Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s  SNHS is led by Co-Presidents Ayush Singhal and Akhil Kalepalli, Tutoring Directors Vithika Pant and Ryan Wen and Outreach Director Siya Gupta. 

The Engineering Expo consisted of four activities: popsicle stick bridges, marshmallow towers, model rockets and spring energy cars.

Led by teams of members who worked as hosting and planning committees alongside the officers, these stations prepared slide shows highlighting the various engineering skills that would be emulated in the real world. 

The Science National Honor Society’s Engineering Expo holds a spring energy car activity. (Nandini Kuppachi)

They were then applied to the small-scale workshops, with some of these skills including teamwork, design, problem solving, scalability and risk management.

Lasting from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. after school, the Expo was successful in hosting an event that shared a look into the field realm of engineering with those in the school. It provided those who are already interested in the field with a fun activity to further their knowledge and for those who may be on the fence in this regard, a way to solidify their inclination towards the discipline.

SNHS also offers tutoring to all BRHS students for all core science classes. The tutoring program organized by the Honor Society has been running for several years now and provides members with volunteer hours to tutor students.

Tutees are able to gain useful information from upperclassmen who already took the course and who may have resources to help them.

SNHS accepts students through applications reviewed by the officer board at the end of every year.