The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

High school auditorium is reopened after renovations

The BR Model United Nations hosts a conference in the newly renovated auditorium. (Ananya Gupta)

The Bridgewater-Raritan Regional School District 2023 Referendum brought many changes, including renovations to the high school auditorium.

Bridgewater-Raritan High School Principal Dan Hemberger shared the goals of the renovations and provided an in-depth look at the processes and changes made.

Over a year ago, the lighting and sound systems were identified as subpar, he said. Therefore, the school had brought in contractors to create proposals and estimate the costs. However, the delay in receiving materials and building permits postponed the process, extending it into the school year.

Professionals began by removing the lighting fixtures and replacing them all with a better system. In addition, they added a second lighting bar, with more colors and brilliance.

From adding digital touch screens to the lighting booths, to providing different levels and colors of lighting, the administration hoped to provide a more suitable environment for the arts department, as well as all students at BRHS.

The choir holds a concert in the auditorium just after its reopening. (Agastya Shahane)

These new functions have already been put to good use, as the high school held such events as  the Choral and Band Concerts, the Model UN conferences and the play “The Dining Room,” throughout the last month.

As the year progresses, the school hopes to make further improvements in the auditorium, including a complete redecoration of seating and transitioning to an open-air sound booth.

Other structural changes to the school that will happen in the near future include projects such as adding more functions to the field house, like expansion and building bathrooms, redoing the bleachers to make them more accessible and replacing the turf.

By improving the overall aesthetics and functionality of the various facilities, the administrators hope to create a more positive environment and give students something to look forward to.