The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

German Honor Society held gingerbread house-making competition

Marko Gvozdenovic
The German Honor Society decorates gingerbread houses.

A gingerbread house-making competition was held by the Bridgewater-Raritan High School  German Honor Society on December 14.

Room 711 was filled with all sorts of candy and materials used to construct these gingerbread houses. Teams rushed to create an architecturally sound and visually appealing house, and in the end, make a better gingerbread house than the opposing team and be declared the winners.

Two groups participated in the contest and each was given an arrangement of candy and gingerbread to build the gingerbread house. The groups were both only given 45 minutes to complete the house, leading to a very tense climate in the room.

Petra Hanning-Eisenberger, the German Teacher and Advisor  for the German Honor Society, commented on the event. 

“It was nice, a nice twist that Sophia (vice president of the GHS) gave them a time limit to complete their houses. The results are very attractive, the whole event created a very closely-knit community,” Ms. Hannig-Eisenberger said. 

The contest was once a yearly activity for the German Honors Society, but due to COVID-19, the event has been canceled for the last couple of years. This was the first time since COVID-19 the contest was held. 

The German Honor Society’s gingerbread house-making competition was an overall success for the organizers and the competitors. The event offered a festive atmosphere and an activity everyone attending found fun.