New Books to “Check Out” at BRHS Library

Sophia Mendoza, Writer

With so many new releases happening all the time, it can be hard to keep track of the titles available right here at Bridgewater-Raritan High School. So here are a few books to suit any avid reader’s taste. 

The Wrath and the Dawn, Renee Ahdieh: There is nothing that readers, and the media, love more than a good romance novel to dive into for a day. Which is why The Wrath and the Dawn, a beautiful retelling of classical stories known to Middle Eastern folk tales – Arabian Nights, is perfect for anyone seeking a book, series, and world to fall into. The book follows the character Shahrzad as she prepares to marry the Caliph of Khorasan, one known to take a new wife every night only to kill her by sunrise. She agrees to marry him, while supplied with her actual plot to kill him, as an attempt to avenge the death of her friend and the honor of his previous brides. However, not everything is as it seems, and she finds herself falling for the “King-of-Kings” despite the brutal cycle she herself is now in. (For those who enjoy or have read this book, the second in the series is also available at the library under the title The Rose and the Dagger.)

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alire Saenez: This book is everything that the drama genre has to offer, while being far from the typical coming-of-age young adult book people expect. It highlights the adventures and friendship of boys Dante and Aristotle (usually referred to as Ari). The book dives into a plethora of deep but important themes, such as Mexican-American identity, exploring familial relationships, sexuality, gender roles, and of course learning just what it means to grow up. Artistically delicate in the way that it handles all of these issues directly through the characters themselves, this heartfelt book is enough to touch the soul of anyone.  

Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman: For those wanting a change of pace or are just looking for something new, go no further than Neil Gaiman’s Fragile Things. Fragile Things is a short story collection of some of Gaiman’s best work, all showing off his darkly ironic humor and his ability to bring true humanity to fiction. This collection and many of the stories inside have been nominated and won numerous awards, just confirming what every reader can already tell: that Gaiman is set to be one of the great classics of this generation. 

All of these books have a story (or a few!) to tell, and are only waiting for someone to give them a chance. And, just maybe, that someone can be you.