The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Meet this year’s new chemistry teacher, Alana Calello

Ms. Calello joined the BRHS community as a chemistry teacher last September.

This school year, the Bridgewater-Raritan School District welcomed Alana Calello as a new chemistry teacher.

As a graduate of Bridgewater herself, she decided to return to the district to give back to the community that helped build her up. In high school, Ms. Calello’s teachers had inspired her love for chemistry and she hopes to do the same for other students.

Ms. Calello originally attended The College of New Jersey as a chemistry major. During her time as a graduate student to obtain her PhD, Ms. Calello also worked as a teaching assistant. It was during this time that Ms. Calello realized her love for education.

She said that she fell in love with the job, as the fulfillment of seeing students gain confidence and knowledge was a reward like no other.

Despite only recently joining the field, her experiences have been extremely fulfilling, she says. She hopes to bring confidence and encouragement to all her students, something she is already working towards with her participation in BRHS activities.

Her support for the WSSP (a DNA sequencing research project in correlation with Rutgers University) and cosmology club at BRHS, being an advisor for both, helps students pursue their interests outside of the classroom.

In her free time, Ms. Calello enjoys Dungeons & Dragons and watching movies with her friends and family or eating out.