The Student News Site of Bridgewater-Raritan High School

The Prowler

The Prowler

The Prowler

Operation Sunflower holds first Turkey Trot

On November 18, Operation Sunflower, one of the many clubs at Bridgewater-Raritan High School, was the host to a five-kilometer fun run at the high school right in time before Thanksgiving.

The event was meant to be an opportunity for the BRHS community to come together for a good cause, and it certainly lived up to that. Responses to the run were positive and those who attended truly enjoyed everything the event represented. 

The run itself occurred at Basilone Field, which is located next to the high school. The distance of the run was 5 kilometers, which was not long enough to make the event intense but was long enough for participants to get some steps in with their friends. According to the club, roughly “35 [were] runners at the event and friends and family came to support and volunteer” and “It was a good showing”. Though Operation Sunflower’s focus was the run itself, the Turkey Trot was backed by a very important cause.

The Prowler was able to interview Andrew Clark, a teacher advisor for Operation Sunflower, and he said that the purpose of the Turkey Trot was to raise “awareness” and raise “funds for the continuing Ukrainian refugee crisis”. There was a small fee for students, friends, and family to be a part of the run, but the proceeds went towards the club and funding organizations that are giving aid to Ukrainian refugees. 

As the conflict in Ukraine continues, there could be no better time for the event. Mr. Clark says: “For  two years since Russia invaded Ukraine, a lot of humanitarian problems have been caused across eastern Europe and even in the US with a refugee issue. We would like to help out and assist in any way that we can”. The Turkey Trot was empowering with “Seeing a lot of people come out to have some fun, raise some money, and donate goods for a great cause. Everyone there seemed to come together for the cause”. A sense of community was fostered between all the runners who chose to participate and all the family and friends who came to support them.

Operation Sunflower is not stopping here. The club plans to continue hosting similar events with an important cause. Mr. Clark acknowledges that the club will “be doing a coat clothing drive very soon. Additionally, we’ll be doing bake sales for more funding”. The club has a lot in store for the future to keep helping those in need in all parts of the world.