High school’s Unsung Hero is honored by Somerset County

Jacob Grabell can be described as a hero when he volunteers his time and teaches youngsters  at  a synagogue, on the basketball court and on the soccer field.

Jacob has to tackle schoolwork just as any normal student at Bridgewater-Raritan High School, but he creates his availability and serves as an assistant Hebrew school teacher and as a coach in both youth basketball and soccer.

But just when his senior year had begun, Jacob was then stricken with a terrible tragedy that he and his family had to sadly endure.

At the start of the 2022-2023 school year, Jacob’s father, David, passed suddenly.

“It was a shock,” Jacob said. “ But I have two younger siblings and my mother so I I had to deal with responsibility.”

He added.

“I had to be a role model for them.”

And that he was.

And that is why today he is rightfully called an Unsung Hero.

Jacob was the recipient of the Unsung Hero award by the Somerset County School Boards Association.

He was joined by his family, a high school official and his counselor and Bridgewater-Raritan Regional School District Board of Education members when he received the honor during a ceremony that was held on Thursday, March 9, at Hillsborough High School.

Each school district in Somerset County selects its Unsung Hero, which was established by the New Jersey School Boards Association.

According to the New Jersey School Boards Association’s website, the Unsung Hero honors students who have triumphed over obstacles to success academically and positively contributed to school life. Each high school in each county is invited to name a student, who with his or her parents, are the guests at a county school boards association meeting when that student is honored. Each student and school is represented by a member of the school who explained why this student is worthy of being named an Unsung Hero.

Evan Seavey, a Bridgewater-Raritan High School Guidance Counselor, took on the mission to both nominate Jacob and then deliver a passionate description of why this student was worthy of being the Unsung Hero.

Here is the touching summary that Mr. Seavey shared about Jacob.

“I am proud to speak about Jacob Grabell, as this year’s Bridgewater-Raritan High School recipient of the Somerset County School Boards Association Unsung Hero Award.

Throughout his high school career, Jacob has served as an Assistant Hebrew School Teacher at our local synagogue. He wakes up early on Sunday mornings to volunteer his time working with second graders for two and a half hours. Jacob takes tremendous pride in knowing that he is helping young children connect with their religion and their culture. He recognizes that his value is in making the children enjoy their time in Hebrew School so they learn without even realizing it.

Through the Bridgewater recreation department, Jacob also volunteers to coach youth basketball and soccer teams. As the Head Coach of the team, Jacob is not only motivating and teaching the children but also communicating with parents regarding the schedule and other topics. Earlier this school year,

Jacob’s family suffered an unspeakable tragedy when his father, David, passed suddenly and unexpectedly.

It is difficult for me to describe how much this situation impacted Jacob, his siblings, Fisher and Logan, and his mother, Alexis.

To say the least, it has shaken the Grabell family to its core. As the oldest child, Jacob has willingly taken on so much responsibility in the home, making it his daily goal to support his mother and his siblings. He has tried to grieve while also being a source of support and encouragement. Jacob deserves so much credit for his maturity, responsible nature, and kind heart. It is for all of these reasons that Jacob was my nominee for this award.

He is a young man who is willing to do the right thing, and to do whatever it takes to help others, without expecting much in return. Given Jacob’s circumstances, I am not going to say congratulations to Jacob, but rather, You are most deserving. Thank you.”

That emotional tribute by Mr. Seavey summed up the qualities of this young man and what he was forced to experience.

He was thrilled with his recognition by his high school and the Somerset County School Boards Association.

“It is a big honor and I was ecstatic especially what I went through,” Jacob revealed. “It was very emotional for my family.”

Jacob was joined that evening by his mother, Alexis, his brother, Fisher, who is a freshman at Bridgewater-Raritan High School, and his sister, Logan, who is a 3rd Grade student at the Van Holten Primary School.

The award-winning party also featured Mr. Seavey, Kristia Greenberg, Assistant Principal at the high school, Steven Singer, the Board of Education President, and Barry Walker, the Board of Education Vice Present who is also the Somerset County School Boards Association Immediate-Past President and the Somerset County School Boards Association-New Jersey School Boards Association Board of Directors Alternate.

Jacob received his award that evening from Jean Trujilla, who is the Somerset County School Boards Association President and is from the Hillsborough Board of Education, and Karen Cortellino, who is the New Jersey School Boards Association Vice President and is a member of the Montville Board of Education.

Jacob is interested in studying business in college, with either Rutgers or Penn State his landing spot come fall.

He has already jump started his business career when he coordinated a bone marrow drive during the Shimon and Sara Birnbaum Jewish Community Center Day in September.

His efforts led him to receive a Sharing Network Scholarship, a $1,500 grant that he can use towards college.

Mr. Seavey, who is the head coach for the high school boys’ swim team and assistant coach on the baseball squad, knew that he picked a winner when he nominated Jacob for the Unsung Hero.

“He is resilient and demonstrated maturity under adverse circumstances,” Mr. Seavey said. “ He is active in the community and at the temple and the rec department.”

Mr. Seavey then concluded:

“And he stepped up to be a help at home.”

Now that is a hero.