High School Academic League Teams complete successful winter season

An impressive report card was produced by the Bridgewater-Raritan High School students who matched their knowledge against their peers this winter in Somerset County.

The Bridgewater-Raritan High School Academic League Team completed a successful campaign under the guidance of its advisor, Dr. Eleni Arapaki.

The Bridgewater-Raritan High School’s JV Academic League Team was crowned the champion of Somerset County with its undefeated matches it scored against other schools in Somerset County.

Meanwhile, Bridgewater-Raritan High Schools Varsity Academic League Team placed a very sound fifth place in the county’s final standings.

Dr. Arapaki, who is the AP Physics 1 & 2 Teacher at the high school, explained how the league and the team both operate.

“The Academic League brings students from different backgrounds together and the team is so diverse,” she said. “We have kids who know sports, kids who know music and kids who know current events.”

During the course of the season, teams would meet each Thursday in the winter when one Somerset County school would each serve as the host .

Rooms are set aside at the schools where the challenge matches, which unusually lasted just over one hour during that Thursday afternoon, are broken into two parts of the game, each with 14 categories. Students are asked the questions by their team advisors/coaches.

The questions cover multiple subject areas ranging from sports to literature to movies to entertainment to arts and sciences, to history and to government.

Bridgewater-Raritan High School was the host to the competition on December 8, when 10 rooms in the 1000 Building were the venue for the matches.

Here are the students who competed this winter for Bridgewater-Raritan High School.

Varsity Team: Seniors Jonah Betron, Evan Gillmurray, Jerry Liu and Parth Kheni.

JV Team: Juniors Rhea Gandhi, Tiffany Li and Marcus Vecchiarelli and Sophomore Foteini Gallou.