BRHS Winter Percussion Places Fourth Overall at its First Competition of the Season

Nandini Kuppachi, Writer

The BRHS Winter Percussion Ensemble huddles around to talk about the performance. (Courtesy of Nandini Kuppachi)

The Bridgewater-Raritan High School (BRHS) Winter Percussion Ensemble placed fourth in its first competition of the season, performing its 2023 show “Reconnected” on Saturday, Feb. 11.

The performance, which was held at Old Bridge High School, included the pieces “Shades of Glass” by Dustin Schulze, “How to Say Goodbye” by Square Peg Round Hole, and “Electric Love” by BORNS.

The award was accepted by juniors Alex Pothos (Marimba 1) and Zachary DeFalco (Marching Snare 1), who have been playing in the ensemble since freshman year.

The entire ensemble is comprised of all four grade levels at BRHS and acts as an extension of the BRHS Marching Band percussion experience, although both ensembles are separate in terms of both season times and instrument involvement (there is no brass or color guard in Winter Percussion).

BRHS Winter Percussion Ensemble students at their first competition. (Courtesy of Nandini Kuppachi)

The entire ensemble consists of the front ensemble, referred to as the “Pit”, which consists of the percussion instruments marimba (2), vibraphones (2), a xylophone, and a glockenspiel, along with a synthesizer, the auxiliary (drumset & rack), and the drumline, comprising of the marching snares (2), marching bass drums (4), flubs (3), and quads (2).

Led by Kirby Marino and coordinators Jonah Nack, Mike O’Leary, ​Joseph Espineira, and Tristan Shafran, the ensemble works tirelessly every week at rehearsals from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, along with Saturday rehearsals from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The BRHS Winter Percussion Ensemble will have its next competition at Hatboro Horsham High School in Pennsylvania on Sunday, Feb. 18.