BR Model UN Hosts Fifth Home Conference

A delegate attending his first conference said that BRMUNC “was an incredibly engaging time that allowed me to think and work with others.”

Paritosh Bhole, Writer

Courtesy of Paritosh Bhole

Last Saturday, the Model United Nations club at Bridgewater-Raritan hosted a conference at the high school. Students from across New Jersey attended to gain experience being a delegate and representing countries in a simulation of real United Nations meetings. Student delegates were assigned to a committee, such as SOCHUM (Committee on Social, Cultural and Humanitarian Affairs) or WHO (World Health Organization), and given specific topics. They then researched their chosen country’s stance on the topic and presented their information in a parliamentary procedure.

The club develops students’ public speaking, research, and collaboration skills while showing how the United Nations makes significant international contributions. For students, the experience molds them into bright and aware leaders in the future. BRMUNC served as a platform for new and old delegates to take the stage and represent countries around the world.

Courtesy of Paritosh Bhole

The conference had six committees: WHO, SOCHUM, DISEC (Disarmament and International Security Committee), ECOSOC (Economic and Social Council), Advanced Committee: Ukrainian Conflict, and Advanced Committee: UNHCR. Each committee had topics centered around the real committee’s main objective, whether it be population health or societal standards. Delegates composed a position paper for their country, including a summary of the issue, their country’s response, and solutions the delegate proposed.

After independently studying parliamentary procedure, the committee would begin with points and motions: formal requests delegates make to supervisors of the committee, known as the chair. At BRMUNC, the chairs were student officers of the BR Model UN club. One of the chairs stated that “personally, being a chair was really fun and I felt it gave me a better understanding of how to act in committees… This allowed me to reflect on how I want to act going further.” 

BRMUNC was a valuable experience for not only the chairs but all participating delegates. For many students, this was their first experience at a Model UN conference. One anonymous student, participating for the first time, said the conference “was a fun experience where we met other delegates from other schools.”  

Courtesy of Paritosh Bhole

Another delegate attending his first conference said that BRMUNC “was an incredibly engaging time that allowed me to think and work with others.” It was a highlight of the delegates’ year and a strong start for countless students who aspire to learn more and be a part of Model United Nations.