CyBR Hacks on the Frontier of Cybersecurity

The club uses a hands-on approach to cybersecurity and hacking with competitions and prizes.

Meera Gharat, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Digital expertise is a useful tool that the BRHS CyBR Hacks club is determined to spread through the school community. The club teaches students about the applications of cybersecurity using games, competitions, and the CyberStart America platform.

CyBR Hacks is run by Co-Presidents Shrey Agarwal and Shachin Ramkumar, Co-Vice Presidents Ethan Wang and Harini Sivakumar, and Secretary Arnav Dedhia.

Sivakumar told The Prowler that the club “focuses on cybersecurity and teaching people the simple aspects of it, whether it be through encryption or other software.” 

Wang added that the club is “more hands-on and professional—the type of cyber security and ethical hacking you would see in the real world.” 

CyBR Hacks recently hosted a winter party featuring encryption and coding games, where members competed for prizes.

The club is currently working on promoting cybersecurity within the school community. 

In the 2023-2024 school year, co-advisor Mr. Frey will teach a new semester elective on cybersecurity. The class will allow any student to learn to use software and protect online information or data.

CyBR Hacks participates in a state competition hosted by the NJCCIC with the CyberStart platform. Co-Vice President Wang recounted his experience placing sixth in the competition last year. He said, “I worked long hours hacking day and night over spring break. Looking back on it, the experience was incredibly educational and rewarding.”

The club also competes with other high schools to earn points for solving ethical hacking challenges throughout the year. According to Co-President Shrey Agarwal, the club is currently tied for first place. In the past, members have been finalists and earned thousands of dollars in scholarships and prizes through the competition.

CyBR Hacks is open to any student regardless of skill level. The club meets after school on Tuesdays in room 1020.

Interested in joining CyBR Hacks? Contact advisors Dr. Feeney or Mr. Frey. The Google Classroom code is 2dyqyo6.

Follow CyBR Hacks’ Instagram account here. For more information, visit their website here.